About Me

My photo
This blog really isn't designed to be about ME, however I am willing to share my life with you so that you can gain knowledge about living with cancer, the importance of continued research in cancer fighting drugs, and how the FDA's decisions on releasing or pulling a drug from cancer patients can greatly impact many lives. While my cancer is advanced breast cancer, I am fighting for all cancers, and actually life in general. My life has been directly affected by many other cancers as family members, friends and chemo buddies have died from various cancers. Each one of these people have shaped my life and I am fighting to honor their fight, and to continue fighting for all of us touched by this horible disease in some way. Most of all, I'm fighting for the right of my 11 year old daughter to continue having a healthy mother, and for my Husband and Mother to keep them from the pain and torment that comes from seeing a loved one die from cancer. The FIGHT IS ON!! Please join me!!!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Latest News

I haven't blogged in a few days, because nothing has changed since the last time I wrote, but now we have some new information.  Please visit the links below to gain a better understanding of where we are in this process.  It looks like it may be drawn out for some time.  Being drawn out into months is a good thing for the patients needing Avastin, however knowing that a shadow of uncertainty follows you everywhere is a bit stressful!

I have so many to thank that there is no way I can mention names, or I'll leave someone out, but I must mention Mike Jenson.  The articles that he ran in the Sikeston and Cape papers hit the jackpot in the press.  Mike released the articles to AP and his column and the article that Michelle wrote about this hit papers all over the country.  My brother called me one night and said, "Julie, your article was in the Joplin paper."  He lives in Joplin and he said that no one realized that it was his sister that the article was about.  He called me back a few hours later to tell me to google "Julie Heppe Avastin", I was shocked to see all of the press that had picked up the story.  We even made it to MNBC!!  Thanks Mike!

Today, Genetech, the company that makes Avastin submitted its response to the FDA's Notice of Opportunity for a Hearing.  At this point we are waiting on the FDA to respond to Genetech and to the public as to its decision in allowing Genetech the opportunity of a hearing.  It is my understanding that the FDA has 30 days to respond to Genetechs submission.  The FDA does not have to go forward with a hearing and can simply continue with their decision to no longer approve Avastin as a drug used to fight stage 4 breast cancer.  We are hoping that this will not be the case.

In the meantime, I am working towards finding other patients just like me that are willing to join the "force" and fight.  I've been working towards this everyday. 

Thanks!  Keep praying that I do the right thing!  God Bless!

http://www.gene.com/gene/news/news-events/avastin/documents/NOOH-Prim-Sub-Doc_FIhttp://www.gene.com/gene/news/press-releases/press_statements/ps_011811.htmlNAL_16JAN2011.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment