About Me

My photo
This blog really isn't designed to be about ME, however I am willing to share my life with you so that you can gain knowledge about living with cancer, the importance of continued research in cancer fighting drugs, and how the FDA's decisions on releasing or pulling a drug from cancer patients can greatly impact many lives. While my cancer is advanced breast cancer, I am fighting for all cancers, and actually life in general. My life has been directly affected by many other cancers as family members, friends and chemo buddies have died from various cancers. Each one of these people have shaped my life and I am fighting to honor their fight, and to continue fighting for all of us touched by this horible disease in some way. Most of all, I'm fighting for the right of my 11 year old daughter to continue having a healthy mother, and for my Husband and Mother to keep them from the pain and torment that comes from seeing a loved one die from cancer. The FIGHT IS ON!! Please join me!!!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Research, Research, Research....

Suddenly I feel like I'm in college again.  I've been researching information all since 10:00 this morning, and I still have so much to sort through!  Google is nice, but it doesn't always get you ALL the information out there.  I have read articles from the US Congress, US Senate and FDA websites.  I've emailed various people in Washington that are very concerned with this FDA decision and do not want it to pass.  On another note, I came across this lady that was diagnosed with breast cancer 20 years ago.  She has become a huge activist and has written books, articles and has a website for women with stage 4 cancer.  I read one of her articles today and was appalled!!  She is backing the FDAs decision to stop the use of Avastin for women like me.  What?!?!  Why would any women fighting breast cancer do such a thing.  I quickly emailed her and said "Just curious, have you been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer?  I look forward to your reply and then I will expand."   She replied.  She was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer years ago, and has never had a recurrence since.  She went on to say that she felt the need to provide metastatic breast cancer patients with more information so she became real active in the stage 4 support and awareness.  OK...She hit a nerve with me and I nearly lost it with her.  I emailed her back typing as fast as I could go.  I told her that I could appreciate the fact that she wanted to support and provide information to women with breast cancer, but how could she boldly state her oppinion backing the FDAs decision when she has never had stage 4 and options are becoming limited.  I can't understand people like that!  Thousands of women are LIVING with advanced cancer because of this drug, and you want to pull it from them?   I won;t repeat all that was in my return email.  I did refrain from any harsh words but I think my point got across.  I didn't hear back from her.

Other than that little set back, I feel like I had a productive day.  Catherine was with me at the studio working on ordering pictures, editing and taking orders.  This gave me the entire day to sit with the laptop and go to work on my mission.  I feel like time is running out.  I had treatment yesterday, and wondered how many more before a decision is made.  I am getting tired of this, and often feel like I'm not making headways, but I can't give up.  This fight is for all Americans, not just me and my family.  It's not just about cancer.  It's about right and wrong.  It is just that I have been personally effected by this that I have taken on this battle.  I now realize that there are other ways that I could have been voicing my opinions in different areas of right and wrong in our country.  I'm realizing that I have been very self centered and only concerned with my own being, now I'm seeing a larger picture.  I hope that through all of this I can become a better citizen and leader and that I can do my part in standing up for my beliefs.

I wrote letters to Jo Ann Emerson and Ellen Brandom today.  I also wrote a letter that you can mail to them and others in Washington to express concerns about this issue.  I will be making a list of people of interest and their addresses for all of you that have expressed your willingness to help in any way.  We have little time, and need to bog down their mailboxes with letters of disapproval of the FDAs decision.  Telephone calls to our Representatives, Congress, and Senate would also be of help.  Also, please continue to share this blog to as many people that you can.  This will be my source of letting you know the latest news and ways you can help.

Tomorrow, I hope to let you know where I will be leaving addresses and letters for anyone interested in picking those up to sign and mail.  I need to get a petition started tomorrow as well.  As I've mentioned earlier, I've never been a real political person and I'm not sure the proper ways of doing a petition, so if anyone would like to guide me on what is required to make the petition legitimate, please email me or leave me a message here on the blog. 

I'm still hoping to be able to get to Washington to testify my cancer LIVING life with them.  Please pray that this mission will become a success.  Thanks to all of you!!!!

Don't forget to watch the morning show on KFVS 12 or the evening news at 5:00.  You don't actually have to look at me, just listen.  HA HA!!

Have a good nights sleep and a great day tomorrow!
God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Julie, my name is Leona Self. I live in Malden, MO. I read your article on KFVS12. I hope for your sake and all the women in this world that you win your fight to keep this drug on the market for Breast Cancer. I have not had any problems myself and I can only imagine what you are going through. I hope that you get the miracle of God and never have to go through all this again. I will be praying for you and for the cure of Breast Cancer.

    ReplyDelete